May 29, 2016
How Selkirk College is helping local employers in Castlegar and Nelson, BC cities in fulfilling their shortage of skilled worker?
Selkirk College is a first community college in British Columbia which is located in the Kootenays, a spectacular region of rivers, lakes, waterfalls, beaches, mineral hot springs, alpine meadows and snow-capped mountains that is home to four of British Columbia’s seven national parks and college offers 60 programs and has grown into one of largest organizations in the West Kootenay and Boundary regions of south eastern British Columbia.
- The economic impact study confirmed Selkirk College as major economic driver being one of the top ten organizations in the region. The full time 2100 jobs and 300 temporaries one, are directly/indirectly related to the College. The combine spending of about $27 million by domestic and international students each year contributes to the regional economy as the College enrolls 3100 students in regular programs, 5400 in continuing education and 200 from outside Canada.
- Peculiarly, the College contributes to the three times of revenue generation of every dollar spent by the Government as grants to the College and additional of $23 million is generated as tax revenue because of College activities and the College itself employees about 700 regular employees.
- The Selkirk College plans to spend $32 million for transformation of Silver King campus at Nelson and Castlegar Campus for upgradation and enhancement, has further kick boost to the enhanced economic activities in the area. State of art infrastructure encourages and prepares well-prepared workforce and to take advantage of employment opportunities in skilled trades.
- The Co-op Education and Employment Services (CEES) of the Selkirk College is proved to be an important asset for students and employers as the it brings together new acquired skills and in-demand jobs and thus, connecting the dots of the regional economy.
- The industry major in the region also get benefitted from the Selkirk College and use to pump support to the College as the College makes major improvements that reflects current industry standards ensuring access to training and equipment for trades and technology students and the industry major banks upon these fresh but seasoned and trained persons coming out the College.